Are private schools and colleges covered by the Privacy Act?
A private school or college with an annual turnover of more than $3 million is covered by the Privacy Act.
Smaller private schools are also likely to be covered if:
- they are related to a larger organisation, or
- they provide a health service and hold health information.
Health service and health information
- If a school or college employs a nurse or other health professional to look after the students' health, it provides a health service.
- Physical education classes or fitness instruction is likely also to fall within the definition of a health service.
Under the Privacy Act, any information about a student which the organisation collects in providing these services will be health information.
Need more information?
- Information Sheet 12 - 2001
- National Privacy Principles (NPPs)
- 10 Steps Guides to protecting personal information