Do Not Call Register
The Do Not Call Register is administered by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA).
Individuals can register their home phone, mobile phone and fax numbers through the:
- Internet: At the Do Not Call Register website (www.donotcall.gov.au)
- Post (download a postal application or pick one up from Australia Post and send it to): Do Not Call Register PO Box 42 North Melbourne VIC 3051; or
- Telephone: 1300 792 958.
Registration is free. Note that the phone or mobile number to be registered must be used exclusively or primarily for private or domestic purposes.
Telemarketers must not make calls to numbers listed on the register. Any business that calls a number on the register, or arranges for a call to be made to a number on the register, may be in breach of the legislation and could face penalties. The register is established under the Do Not Call Register Act 2006.
An industry standard for telemarketing and research calls governs specific aspects of telemarketing calls and applies to any person or business intending to make (or commission) telemarketing calls, regardless of whether or not they are exempt from complying with the Do Not Call Register.
The standard governs the conduct of telemarketers and market researchers making calls to consumers. It directs when and how telemarketers can contact individuals, including the times at which telemarketing calls can be made and information that must be provided during the call.
For further information about the Do Not Call scheme go to the ACMA website.
The Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts (DCITA) has policy responsibility in relation to the Do Not Call Register Act 2006. For more information click here.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner (the Office) called for a Do Not Contact Register in our March 2005 report "Getting in on the Act: The Review of the Private Sector Provisions of the Privacy Act 1988" The relevant discussion and recommendation in the report can be found here.
Office submissions in relation to the Do Not Call Register:
- Senate Environment, Communications Information Technology and the Arts Legislation Committee Inquiry into the provisions of the Do Not Call Register Bill 2006 and the Do Not Call Register (Consequential Amendments) Bill 2006 (June 2006). See the submission here.
- DCITA's "Introduction of a Do Not Call Register: Possible Australian Model Discussion Paper" (December 2005). See the submission here.
Office submissions in relation to Industry Standard for the Making of Telemarketing and Research Calls:
- Research Calls on Sundays: Submission to the Australian Communications & Media Authority (May 2007). See the submission here.
- ACMA's draft Telecommunications (Do Not Call Register) (Telemarketing and Research Calls) Industry Standard (January 2007). To see this submission click here.
- ACMA's discussion paper on an Industry Standard for the Making of Telemarketing Calls (September 2006). See the submission here.